Friday, October 25, 2013

Madras Sambar

Hi Readers,

When I was not married and used to stay with friends, we had a cook. Her hand made Sambar was delicious. I remember, we never had got Sambar Masala in our room, but she would manage to make it delicious and with same smell & taste without it. However, I never got a chance to see how she made it. She used to prepare food when we were out in Office.

Post marriage, I thought of preparing this dish several times, but my dear husband would turn down my request, may be he thought I can't make it good. Lol... Last Saturday, I made my mind, though my husband had same response , I somehow managed to get his acknowledgement. I had a pack of Madras Sambar Masala sitting in my cup-board. You know what..my husband completed all the sambar that I made for Lunch. It was no doubt with same taste, same smell as my cook used to make though I had to use the masala. I made thick gravy as is available in Chennai. After, staying for more than five years in various parts of South India, I now know the difference in taste of Sambar from various places. :)

Lets now have a look at the recipe.


Ingredients 
Oil - 1 tsp
Ghee - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Curry leaf - 10 leaves
Coriander leaves - 3 springs
Madras Sambar Powder - 2 tbsp
Toor dal - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Tamarind - a lime sized bal
Sambar Onion - 1 cup
Any vegetable - 2 cups(I have used drumsticks, Bhindi, Pumpkin & carrot)
Salt as per taste

Wash toor dal, add 2 cups of water and turmeric powder. Pressure cook until 3 whistle.

soak tamarind in 1 cup of water and extract the juice filtering the skin. Keep aside.

Heat 4 cups of water in a deep pan, when it comes to boil add whole onion, vegetable, sambar powder, cooked dal and salt. cover it up and let it cook for 5 min in medium flame, then add tamarind juice, when it boils cover up and cook for 10 min. Now add the grounded powder and cook for 5 min and turn off the flame.

Heat oil in a separate pan, add mustard seeds when it done popped switch off the flame, add asafoetida powder curry leaf, coriander leaf and ghee. Pour it on top of the cooked sambar. Stir well and serve hot with rice.




No comments:

Post a Comment