Monday, October 21, 2013

Tawa fried Yam

Hi,

Back to Monday again. I wish I could have got one more extra day of holiday.This is my feeling on everyday, and that happens to all people who work. Sometimes, I think of people who have 6 days working day in a week, how would they be managing with just 1 day off. Thankfully, I have two days off but still I want another one. This weekend I had made two dishes of Yam and one south Indian dish. Sunday, I didn't cook much and went outside. I remember someone once told me, when I know cooking, why I eat outside. True, I love cooking, trying new dishes but still eating out has again another charm of getting rest.  \\\

You must have got bored with my schedule, so let me now provide you a recipe of one of the Yam dish that I had prepared. Yam is one of the famous vegetable of Madhya Pradesh and Kerala. This grows in marshy land and both the region have their own specialty of cooking it. In Odisha we normally add it into Dalma, or make a stir fry. Sometimes, we also add rice flour batter to it (that is called Pithau Bhaja) to make it crispy. This one uses that technique to make it crispy. Here, is the recipe for your use.


Ingredients:-
250 gm of elephant yam
3 tbsp of besan ( gram flour) 
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder 
1 tsp of red chili powder 
1/2 tsp of coriander powder 
1/4 tsp of crushed cumin powder
2 tbsp of rice flour 
5-6 of curry leaves, chopped 
salt to taste
4 tbsp + 1 tsp of oil 



Method:- 

1. Cut the yam into thin pieces of about 2" diameter. Cook them in boiling water with turmeric until soft yet they hold their shape (about 4-5 mins). Drain completely.
2. Transfer the cooked yam to a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients except the 4 tbsp oil (add the 1 tsp oil into the mixture too). Mix well until the masala coats the yam pieces uniformly. If you have the time, let this sit for a couple of hours or in the refrigerator if you want to keep it longer. Otherwise, proceed to the next step.
3. Heat the 4 tbsp oil in a wide pan or tawa (adjust oil amount to the size of your pan). Lay the coated yam pieces in a single layer over it and lightly roast both sides until crisp and golden here and there. Drain on kitchen towels.
Delicious tawa-fried yam is now ready. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment